FEBRUARY 4, 2015
SCESD Kinder Round-up
Unbelievably, it’s already that time of year - kindergarten registration for the upcoming school year.
We’ve put together step by step instructions for anyone who is confused by the registration process (as it can be very cumbersome). Please know that this is written by parent advocates of the dual language program and not by the district or school; however, we have verified that our instructions are accurate. If you require any additional information please contact the school and/or the district office.
IF YOU LIVE WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF LINCOLN ELEMENTARY
If you live in the boundaries of Lincoln Elementary, Kinder round-up (registration for 2015-2016 kindergarten) will begin on February 4th. If you haven't already done so, be sure to complete your paperwork as soon as possible, as space is limited in the dual language program. Be sure to designate that you are registering your child(ren) for the DLP.
IF YOU DO NOT LIVE WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF LINCOLN, BUT ARE WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF SCESD
1. Complete an Intradistrict Transfer Request: Transfer requests must be done at the District Office, 801 S. Main Street, Salinas.
2. Please make sure to write on the paperwork that you are requesting the dual language program (DLP) at Lincoln.
3. Upon acceptance of your transfer the district office will notify you in writing (or via phone). You then need to take your approved SCESD transfer paperwork to Lincoln and fill out the kinder registration paperwork.
4. Again, be sure to designate that you are registering your child or children for the DLP.
IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE BOUNDARIES OF SCESD
1. Complete an Interdistrict Transfer Request: Go to your current school district office and request a transfer out of your district (interdistrict transfer).
2. Be sure to specify that you are requesting a transfer because your current district DOES NOT offer a dual language program. Once you've completed the request, be sure to ask for a copy for your records. Additionally, make sure to ask for the phone number and email address of the person you can follow up with directly regarding your request.
3. Check on the status of your transfer request frequently: Please note that most districts will not approve transfers on the spot, it could take several weeks/months. It will be your responsibility to check on the status of your transfer request. You should also note, that your district must approve your transfer if they do not offer a Spanish dual language program at any of their district elementary schools.
4. Once your request is approved, your current district will mail or fax the approval to SCESD. You should continue to follow-up with SCESD to make sure they receive the approved transfer.
5. Once SCESD receives the transfer and SCESD approves your request for Lincoln, you should receive notice from SCESD (either in writing or via phone). You will then need to take your approved SCESD transfer paperwork to Lincoln and fill out the kinder registration paperwork. BE SURE TO DESIGNATE THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING DLP ON ALL YOUR PAPERWORK!!!!
Check out our brochure for more basic dual language facts
If you have questions about which school boundaries you live in, please take a look at the following map:
Hopefully, this is useful information for anyone out there that is confused about the process.
Please note, that you can always ask the school or the district office directly if you require any additional information!
Best of luck!